Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Fashion Lesson

Vintage Balenciaga

When I was in Italy I learned so much about the fashion industry.  I was submerged head first into high end fashion, high prices, exponential, dynamic quality fabrics and most importantly the brand identity. I learned about supply chains of major fashion houses such as Prada, Valentino, Chanel, Caveli, Just Caveli,  Loro Piana, and my new found favorite men’s clothing line Ermenegildo Zenga. I learned about Luxury fashion. Just saying the word luxury fashion makes me feel like I’m on a high, as if I am getting a new pair of Balenciaga flats!  Luxury fashion industry is a dream world created by high socialites that the middle class and low class love to imitate. They idolized it by going to TJ max and buying the look alike Armani dress our Louis Vuttion shoe. My question is why do we do it. Why do people yearn for the luxury identity?  Some woman will not come and say yes I want those Miu Miu platform pumps to be identified as a rich and powerful woman. No, they will say these shoes look extremely well with my outfit, or they make my legs look longer, my hips slender and overall my appearance more attractive. Yes, all of these statements are true, but ultimately it is our subconscious mind that speaks the true meaning of us wanting that platform Miu Miu pumps. We want to be identified with the rich and famous.  Ladies next time you walk into that Chanel boutique or the Alexandra Wang flagship store ask yourselves what is the ultimate reason for me buying this item? Does my reasoning justify the $438 pair of shoes or $789 blouse on my credit card? Yes, this beautiful leather Prada wallet with gold jacket zippers sewn onto it looks and feels beautiful, but is it worth the $350 credit charge plus the monthly APR interest rate? But let’s be for real we are not thinking about the prices, so untimely there will be a $350 plus monthly APR interest rate on our credit card. No instead we are skipping out of the store with the new Prada wallet, calling our best friend to tell them about the new gift we bought ourselves.